Foods You Should Never Feed to Your Dog


Unfortunately for dogs, they don’t get to enjoy a wide variety of options when it comes to the things they are able to eat. Dogs cannot digest items in the same way we do; therefore, some foods we eat on a regular basis may actually harm your pet. The following list depicts some of the food items you should never feed to your dog:

1) Chocolate
Perhaps one of the most well-known toxic food out there for our pets is chocolate. We’ve all heard it being said, but how can something so delicious as chocolate be so dangerous for our dogs? Well, that’s mainly due because of the high levels of caffeine that’s in it. Eating chocolate could lead to vomiting, abdominal pains, high body temperatures and muscle spasms.

2) Coffee

No surprise there, right?  On a serious note, not only does it contain caffeine, but it also has a stimulant called Methylated Xanthine, which causes agitation, vomiting, and restlessness on dogs who ingest it.

3) Grapes/Raisins

While there is no known exact compound known to be harmful for dogs found in these two seemingly safe foods, both grapes and raisins may lead to kidney failures. Symptoms vary on a case-to-case basis, but dogs’ have shown signs of vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite and dehydration as a result of eating grapes and raisins.

4) Avocado

Despite it being recognized as a wholesome food, avocados can actually be quite harmful to your dog. If your dog eats too much avocados, then he/she may experience breathing difficulties, vomiting, and even fluid buildup in the chest area. The pits found within the avocados can also be very harmful if dogs’ swallow it.

5) Onions/Garlic
Some of the compounds found in onions and garlic can affect dogs’ red blood cells, causing them to move around less and become slightly weaker. Dogs who’ve ingested large amounts of either or both of these will likely appear constantly tired, and may urinate in a a reddish or orange tone.

6) Dairy (Milk, Cheese, etc)

Dairy in general is something that dogs cannot digest properly, as they do not have the enzymes necessary to fully break down these items once they reach their stomachs. While not significantly dangerous, too much consumed dairy may lead to vomiting, upset stomachs, gas, and other gastrointestinal problems.

While all of these food items have been known to affect dogs, it is important to note that the effects these have on dogs may differ due to many reasons, including, but not limited to, the dog’s size and breed, and the amount go the consumed item. Dogs may react differently than others, but it is always good to keep in mind that some regular food items may have unwanted effects on your pet.