- Border Collies can trace their ancestors back to one sire. Old Hemp was a herding dog known for his gentle herding style which quickly became sought after by many farmers in the mid 1890’s. He is considered to be the patriarch and proprietor of what we know today as “the Border Collie.”
- Helen Keller owned an Akita.
- Budweiser has had 3 Dalmatians keep their Clydesdale horses company since 1950. Today, the current Budweiser dogs are Brewer, Clyde, and Chip.
- The name “Beagle” means loud-mouth in French. It comes from the variation “bee gueule” meaning “wide throat.” Anyone who’s been around one knows they love to bay, or howl!
- The AKC reports that the Labrador Retriever has been the most popular breed owned by Americans. They’ve taken the #1 spot for the past 24 years.
- The Bulldog is the most popular mascot breed. They’re used as mascots all over the US!
- Pomeranians were originally bred to pull sleds.
- A group of Pugs is called a “grumble.”
- Picasso loved his Afghan Hounds so much, he said they often inspired his paintings. His statue “Tête (Maquette pour la sculpture en plein air du Chicago Civic Center)” is most commonly used as an example of this fascination.
- Corgis were once thought to be the steeds of elves and fairies.