Before this question is answered, there should be another question.
That question is, should humans even drink alcohol?
The answer to the first question is a definite N-O and the answer to the second question should probably be no as well, but that depends on personal preference.
Either way, today, only the health reasons as to why dogs should not ingest alcohol will be discussed today rather than for humans.
Obviously, any sane dog owner would not give their dog alcohol on purpose. If there happens to be a situation where your dog accidentally drinks from your drink which contains alcohol, or your dog somehow ingests a drink containing alcohol, contact your local veterinarian to speak to them about your dog’s condition as this blog is in no way a means of actual medical advice, just a resource for information.
Alcohol is considered a depressant to the central nervous system, which is why the effects of alcohol are dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and difficulty balancing.
As human bodies are bigger than dogs and the effects of alcohol can be so severe for people, think about how much more severe the effects of alcohol can be for dogs.
The reason alcohol is harmful to people based on the amount of ethanol in the drink.
If a dog has a certain drink with a certain amount of alcohol in it, they will feel the effects of alcohol within their body.
Plainly speaking, your dog will become drunk.
With alcohol, it depends more on the type of alcohol than the actual amount itself on whether or not your dog will feel the effects of alcohol. The American Kennel Club has a chart on their website.
However, the published lethal dose on the AMerican Kennel Club website for any alcohol for a dog is “dose in dogs is 5.5 to 7.9 g/kg of 100% ethanol. One milliliter of ethanol is equal to 0.789 g.”
As you would with any intoxicated human, ensure they have proper food and hydration to allow their body to absorb the alcohol. Watch your dog to ensure they do not exhibit any signs of alcohol poisoning, as a dog’s body is a lot smaller than a human’s body and they can get alcohol poisoning easier than a human can.
According to the American Kennel Club, the effects of alcohol poisoning are as follows: lethargy, drooling, vomiting, incoordination, decreased breathing, and weakness in actions.
If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms, please call their veterinarian or go into their veterinarian right away.
Please take proper precautions to ensure your dog does not ingest any type of alcoholic drink or food, however if they do by accident, do not be too hard on yourself.
Accidents do happen and the important thing is to help make sure your dog will be okay.
Alcohol can be fun (for humans) when drank responsibly and in the proper environment.
Please ensure you are of legal age when drinking alcohol.
Drink responsibly and out of range of your furry friend to ensure your dog does not accidentally drink your drink.